Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

Which NCAA Schools Play Scenarioball?

Xavier and Georgetown faced off on Saturday in a key Big East matchup. I will soon find out if either team plays Scenarioball. Photo courtesy Geoff Burke/USA Today Sports
Hello, all! I hope you had a great weekend. Time to check in on the best interactive basketball game this side of NBA 2K: Scenarioball! Today's post puts us back on campus.

Not long ago I compared NBA teams against my Scenarioball stats - that is, statistical categories that I value when I watch a game such as dunks and made three-pointers. I alluded to the fact I wanted to do the same for the NCAA, but with 351 schools, I knew that would be a challenge.

I contemplated how to deal with the sheer number of schools in Division I and resolved that while each school is unique, I don't truly care about all of them. I decided to narrow down the number of schools with some arena standards in the vain of Euroleague and UEFA. I prefer schools that play in pro-style arenas with mostly chairback seats on three or four sides of the court, with premium seating as an added bonus. I assume my love of pro basketball influences that.

Here are the arena standards I came up with:
  • Must be the team's main venue, i.e. play about 3/4 of their home games there
  • At least 5,000 seats
  • Must have multiple premium seating options
  • Must be located in a metro area of 100,000 or more

I figured I would have more demands in my standards, but they came out pretty simple. I ended up with 70 schools from across the DI basketball landscape:

Arkansas Razorbacks
Arkansas-Little Rock Trojans
Belmont Bruins
Binghamton Bearcats
Cincinnati Bearcats
Creighton Bluejays
Dayton Flyers
DePaul Blue Demons
Eastern Michigan Eagles
Evansville Aces
Florida State Seminoles
Fresno State Bulldogs
Georgetown Hoyas
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Green Bay Pheonix
Hofstra Pride
Houston Cougars
Illinois Fighting Illini
Lipscomb Bisons
Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns
Louisville Cardinals
Marquette Golden Eagles
Maryland Terrapins
Memphis Tigers
Miami Hurricanes
Michigan State Spartans
Minnesota Golden Gophers
Missouri Tigers
Missouri State Bears
NC State Wolfpack
Nebraska Cornhuskers
New Mexico Lobos
Northern Illinois Huskies
Northern Iowa Panthers
Northern Kentucky Norse
Ohio State Buckeyes
Old Dominion Monarchs
Omaha Mavericks
Penn State Nittany Lions
Pittsburgh Panthers
Providence Friars
Rhode Island Rams
Richmond Spiders
Saint Louis Billikens
Seattle Redhawks
Seton Hall Pirates
Siena Saints
SMU Mustangs
South Alabama Jaguars
South Carolina Gamecocks
South Florida Bulls
Syracuse Orange
Temple Owls
Tennessee Volunteers
Texas Longhorns
Texas-Arlington Mavericks
Texas Tech Red Raiders
Toledo Rockets
Towson Tigers
UCF Knights
UNLV Runnin' Rebels
USC Trojans
Utah Valley Wolverines
Vanderbilt Commodores
Virginia Cavaliers
Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
Wisconsin Badgers
Wright State Raiders
Xavier Musketeers

Phew! Did you get all of those? I'm going to run my numbers on these schools for this season and put them into a readable chart. I'm thinking of putting the top teams into a March Madness-style tournament, but I'll work that out later. At some point I'll also go back to past seasons to see which teams have consistently played the way I enjoy. I intend to put those teams into a 8- to 12-team conference that I'll cover beat-reporter style next season. As with any time I run numbers, I'm excited to see how things shake out.

No comments:

Post a Comment