Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

The Warriors at 70


I can't specifically pinpoint the game where I wanted the Warriors to start making history, but I can only assume it was at some point during their initial 24-0 run to kick off what has been an amazing 2015-16 campaign. 55 games later, the Golden State Warriors have accomplished what only one other team has: they have won 70 games in a season.

I was privileged to watch the Warriors take on the Spurs in Oakland last night on TNT. After the witnessing the recent pitfalls of a nearly unblemished team - tough losses to Boston and Minnesota on their home floor - I was on pins and needles from wire to wire even with the sizable lead the home side held over San Antonio for much of the game.

Once the final buzzer sounded, the fanfare wasn't as loud as I expected. Many fans in Oakland filed out of the building before the end of the game as if it were win #2 on the season. But at least this was a plateau that was finally reached. After the lead against Minnesota slipped away, part of me wondered if the Warriors would lose out the rest of the way and remain at 69 wins. I wondered if they would just be the team that almost did it but ultimately fizzled out. I was worried that the air they were in would not be as rarified as I hoped it would be.

Alas, the Warriors were able to stretch out and reach that nearly unattainable rung on the ladder of all-time great seasons. However, there are still a few games to go if they truly want to be the best.

I'm personally satisfied with 70. I really just wanted an all-time great team that "my era" could call its own, and putting 70 (or more) in the win column essentially solidifies that (assuming they win the title). The next step is seeing if they can truly set themselves apart from the rest. Draymond Green has stated publicly that he wants to win it, and the Warriors have come too far to not be competitive. I mean, they might as well considering they would most likely want momentum heading into the playoffs.

Even though there is unfinished business over this final week, the Warriors have already accomplished a lot. Regardless of their outcome in the postseason, they have already clinched their place in NBA lore.

No comments:

Post a Comment